Thursday, June 24, 2010

One ball, all shapes and sizes.....

I apologize for the delay in writing a blog as I have had a hard time getting the co mbination of inernet access and time off. I am writing this blog as Netherlands and Cameroon play about 30 feet away.....good stuff.

The last week has been very eventful both wih World Cup games but also traveling to different areas to see soccer games of all shapes and sizes. I met a volunteer, Brian Gamba, who does a lot work within the Cape Town area with local schools and teams and once he found out what we were doing he wanted to show me around. So Saturday my roomate Philip and I, along with Brian, went to a local game between some schools. It was great to see the kids getting along playing soccer. After that we went to a tournament they were having not far from us so we stopped by. I got to talk to the kids a bit about soccer and what its doing for them and that was really good to see that.

This weekend we are going into one of the worst townships in Cape Town to see some kids and some of the fields and equipment they are playing with and hopefully be able to help them out or set something up for them.

One a World Cup note things are really starting to take off! Im still trying to catch my breathe after Landon's 91st minute goal! Still cant believe what happened. A fellow volunteer and I met up with Ethan Zohn and his Grassroots Soccer crew to a restaurant to watch the game. Everyone was depressed until the Miracle on Grass. Unbelieavable! I really like our chances in the rest of the tournament and hopefully the US can get to the semi final because they would be playing in Cape Town!

I must leave for now and get back to work at the game but hopefully this gives everyone an idea of what I have been doing a bit. You can also follow on Twitter @Kicks4kenya for more frequent up to date posts. Thanks everyone and talk soon!

K4K out

2 comments:

Rob said...

Donovan's goal in the last game is one of the most exciting things I've seen in sports. It looked like we were finished for sure. I can't wait for the Saturday match with Ghana!

Rob said...

Donovan's goal in the last game is one of the most exciting things I've seen in sports. It looked like we were finished for sure. I can't wait for the Saturday match with Ghana!