Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Riding the FIFA roller coaster

So this blog has been a few days in the works but I am just now getting to a computer. When I first applied for a job with FIFA I went for a hospitality position or administration. When I interviewed at the Washington DC embassy I was told I would be doing VIP hospitality. When I landed in Cape Town and came to the stadium I was told I had been moved to logistics. I also found out I was not the only one. I met 4 other volunteers that were promised positions and then moved to positions that had nothing to do with what they applied for, like logistics. Sunday I worked int he logistics department and was placed at a bomb checkpoint outside the stadium for 7 hours, not exactely what I signed up for. I talked to Virginia the volunteer coordinator and she very graciously understand the situation and had me moved immediately to her assistant. Needless to say at the time I was very frustrated.......


Fast forward to today, my first day as a volunteer manager. After seeing the total disorganization of the "organizing committee", and their total inability to pass forward important information to volunteers I decided to start a blog as an information post for all volunteers. I passed the idea on to the volunteer coordinator and she loved it. So now my job is to update the blog and I can basically go anywhere in the stadium I want. I went onto the pitch, in the locker rooms, laid on the bench, visited the VIP boxes (all pictures coming).

It is amazing the difference a couple days make where I go from upset and disappointed on day 1 and now I have a better job then before. Im very thankful.

The city of Cape Town has reached an absolute frenzy in the days leading up to the World Cup. Everyone is flying their flags and blowing there vuzuelas (sp?) I cant wait to get things underway, it truly will be an incredible experience.

I have met a ton of awesome volunteers from all over the world. We had a get together the other night and we had representatives from 6 continents and 23 countries. Quite the mixed bag of backrounds and personalities but it was so much fun. Everyone is getting along great and is always more then happy to help the others out. Its nice to have people fun to hang out with and enjoy the experience with. I will also get alot more tagged pictures on Facebook as well!

It has been a few days since my last blog becuase my laptop was not working but now things seem to be working fine so Im back up and running. Hope all is well with everyone and you are excited for the 2010 World Cup!

No comments: